Beyond the Bell Toolkit Table of Contents
Part I: Beyond the Bell® for Program Management
Chapter 1: Management
1. How can you create a strong vision, goals, and theory of change for your program?
2. How can you build evaluation into your program as a means of promoting continuous improvement?
3. How can you best organize the management of the program?
4. How can you effectively manage resources?
5. How can you staff your program to attract and keep able personnel?
6. How can you build a strong internal communication system into your afterschool program?
7. What are the special considerations for managers of multiple afterschool sites?
8. How do you recruit participants?
9. How can you share confidential information?
10. What factors should you consider when contracting with an external vendor?
11. How should you schedule and structure the program each day?
Tool 1: Visioning Worksheet
Tool 2: Goal-Setting Worksheet
Tool 3: Logic Model Planning Tool
Tool 4: Organizational Chart of a Liaison Model
Tool 5: Organizational Chart of a Committee Model
Tool 6: "Do We Need a Procedure?" Checklist
Tool 7: Grant-Writing Tips
Tool 8: Budget Worksheet
Tool 9: Job Description for Afterschool Staff
Tool 10: Job Description for Afterschool Program Coordinator
Tool 11: Sample Interview Questions
Tool 12: Staff Training Survey
Tool 13: Staff Satisfaction Survey
Tool 14: Student Registration Form
Tool 15: Student Enrollment Confirmation
Tool 16: Consent to Share Information
Tool 17: Rating Worksheet for Potential Vendor Services
Tool 18: Program Schedule
Chapter 2: Communication
1. How do you choose a design for an effective communication strategy?
2. How do you decide goals for communication?
3. How do you decide which audience you need to reach?
4. How do you choose communication methods that reach out to traditionally less involved groups?
5. How do you create a message that people will hear?
6. How do you work with the media?
7. How do you measure the effectiveness of your communication?
Tool 19: Tips for Developing a Brochure
Tool 20: Communication Strategy Checklist
Tool 21: Community Communication Survey
Tool 22: Community Group Profile and Communication Record
Tool 23: Communication Log
Tool 24: Community Group Involvement Checklist
Tool 25: Sample Press Release
Tool 26: Communication Satisfaction Survey
Chapter 3: Evaluation
1. What are the basic evaluation steps?
2. What evaluation questions are you trying to answer?
3. How can you make data collection strategies easier?
4. Who should do the evaluation?
5. How can you apply what you learn from evaluation to improve the program design?
Tool 27: Indicators for Program Goals
Tool 28: Tips for Creating Good Survey Questions
Tool 29: Student Satisfaction Survey (Grades K3)
Tool 30: Student Satisfaction Survey (Grades 4 and Up)
Tool 31: Monthly Attendance Record
Tool 32: Questions to Ask When Considering an External Evaluator
Tool 33: Program Development Self-Assessment
Chapter 4: Linkages With the Traditional School Day
1. How can the afterschool program link to and support the curriculum of the school day?
2. How do you create partnerships between afterschool staff and school staff?
3. How are the respective responsibilities of the program coordinator and principal delineated?
4. How can you allocate space and materials in ways that avoid conflict?
5. How can you succeed as an outside provider working at a school site?
6. How can you make school staff aware of an afterschool program based outside the school?
7. How can the activities of such programs support the school day?
Tool 34: Survey of Teacher Programming Needs
Tool 35: Matrix of Teacher Programming Needs
Tool 36: Matrix of Linkages With the School Day
Tool 37: Assessment of Linkages in Your Program
Tool 38: Template for Field Trip Planning
Tool 39: Field Trip Permission Form
Tool 40: Staff Development Sessions on Linkages With the School Day
Tool 41: Template for Memo to School Staff
Tool 42: Conversation Starter on Homework Help
Tool 43: Conversation Starter on Enrichment Activities
Tool 44: Responsibility Checklist for the Principal and Afterschool Program Coordinator
Chapter 5: Collaboration and Community Building
1. How do you decide on the appropriate partners?
2. How do you expand your partnership group?
3. What is the role of the advisory board?
Tool 45: Worksheet for Finding Partners
Tool 46: Matching Program Needs With Potential Assets
Tool 47: Strategies for Enlisting Partners
Tool 48: Partnership Planning (or Advisory Group) Worksheet
Tool 49: Sample Memorandum of Understanding
Tool 50: Calculation of In-Kind Contributions
Chapter 6: Parent and Family Involvement
1. How can you determine and encourage different levels of parent and family involvement?
2. How can you communicate effectively with parents and families?
3. How can you create a welcoming climate?
4. What are reasons some families do not participate, and how can you respond?
5. How can you use a parent advisory group to improve your program?
Tool 51: Parent Volunteer Form
Tool 52: Parent Communication Checklist
Tool 53: Parent Preference Survey
Tool 54: Adult Education Interest Survey
Tool 55: Template for Parent Advisory Group Agenda
Part II: Beyond the Bell® for Program Delivery and Design
Chapter 7: Program Delivery
1. What does it mean to integrate youth development principles in afterschool programs?
2. What does it mean to be intentional with program design and delivery?
3. How do you provide choices for the children and youth in your program?
4. How does reflection fit into afterschool program delivery?
5. How do you address special considerations in afterschool programs?
Tool A: Staff Development Session on Youth Development
Tool B: Analysis of Youth Development Activity
Tool C: Youth Development Checklist
Tool D: Participant Survey on Youth Development
Tool E: Programming Goal-Setting Worksheet
Tool F: Intentional Activities
Tool G: Staff Reflection on Equality
Tool H: Development as an Afterschool Professional
Tool I: Self-Assessment of Effectiveness Qualities
Tool J: Professional Development Plan
Tool K. Evaluation of Staff Development Session
Tool L: Student Reflection Worksheet
Chapter 8: Program Design
1. How do you choose activities to meet participants' needs and use assets well?
2. How do you balance various types of activities?
3. What are academic enrichment activities, and how can they improve your program?
4. What are recreational activities, and how can they improve your program?
5. What are homework help and tutoring activities, and how can they improve your program?
6. What are supplemental educational services, and how can they improve your program?
7. What is service learning, and how can it improve your program?
8. What are summer programs, and how can they improve your program?
9. What else should you consider when planning your programming?
Tool M: Student Preference Survey
Tool N: Teacher Preference Survey
Tool O: Staff Development Session on Academic Enrichment Activities
Tool P: Analysis of Academic Enrichment Activity
Tool Q: Academic Enrichment Activity Template
Tool R: Intrinsic Versus Tangential Learning
Tool S: Staff Development Tool on Recreational Activities
Tool T: Recreational Activity Plan
Tool U: Recreational Activity Template
Tool V: Staff Worksheet on Positive Self-Talk
Tool W: Student Worksheet on Positive Self-Talk
Tool X: Assessment of Recreational Needs, Resources, and Space
Tool Y: Homework Sharing Tool
Tool Z: Tutoring Receipt
Tool AA: Tutoring Log
Tool BB: Community and School Needs Survey
Tool CC: Summer Program Schedule